Forum Downtime & Other Happenings

Dynsalir

Admin | Staff Manager
Admin
Ratings
509 21
Hey Everyone!

I just want to keep everyone up-to-date on what has been happening.. As many of you may have saw, our forum was hacked this morning. A group of hackers were able to exploit into our forum software and tamper with it.

We were notified about this breach and started working hard on finding the problem. After some investigating we found that the hacker had obtained Dakota's forum password, who is a super-admin, and gained access to our admin control panel. From within this panel the hacker was able to replace our theme index with his "custom" one.

During the hackers run he had deleted our forum's theme and thus we had to restore from a backup. This means there is a 3 day rollback on the forum and you may have to resubmit any maps or applications that you submitted recently.

While we do not believe that the hacker had access to any of our databases (your passwords are encrypted regardless so we cant even see them) we would advise that you keep your forum password different from your other passwords as that is generally a good safety practice.

We have enabled extra protection on our forum's admin panel so that events like this will never happen again. I hope you all have a wonderful day,

Dylan.

Wafflethecat

Forum Expert
Mapper
Ratings
128 3
Man, that is horrible. I am glad you guys found out what happened and were able to fix it! :D I do not mind the rollback, it is for the servers best interest so all in all, it is the best decision. Best of luck to you, the staff, and the server! :D:D:D

Nixi

Dedicated Member
Mapper
Ratings
62 3
If you mean that the forum was hacked, yes. I personally saw it starting because I was online when this happened. The whole forums just started going crazy and then they changed the whole forum for their "Custom one".
I'm so glad that you guys @Morph (Dyn) and @Dacon found the problem and successfully solved it! Good job! :cool:

Like, really to be honest, what is even the point of hacking? On minecraft it's just to troll people for no apparent reason, and on just like, a website, it's literally pointless. They fix it in a few days, the hacker is forgotten. This is just pointless and irritating for people who have had to upload maps/application again, I mean I b=have never posted A map but, who cares?
[DOUBLEPOST=1449365114][/DOUBLEPOST]
Like, really to be honest, what is even the point of hacking? On minecraft it's just to troll people for no apparent reason, and on just like, a website, it's literally pointless. They fix it in a few days, the hacker is forgotten. This is just pointless and irritating for people who have had to upload maps/application again, I mean I have never posted A map but, who cares?

OneOfTheStars

MVP+
Nihilxstic
Nihilxstic
MVP+
Ratings
Well, they are thankfully resolving the issue. Resubmitting things may become an issue for some, but it is for the best. I wish the forums luck in rehabilitating it self to a reasonable status.