oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
Do y'all think there are too many daily reboots? No way it can't just be me that finds 3 nearly 4 daily reboots is too many.
Usually, it should only be 2 daily reboots. As in the fact that it is called "daily reboot". Sometimes, there might be more reboots because of lag, or something that needs to be changed/fixed. Sorry that you find that that is too many to have <3.

RealTophatTom

Ratings
Usually, it should only be 2 daily reboots. As in the fact that it is called "daily reboot". Sometimes, there might be more reboots because of lag, or something that needs to be changed/fixed. Sorry that you find that that is too many to have <3.
I mean it's fine but could they at least change daily to like occasional so players don't get confused. I personally don't have a problem with it I just find it confusing what it tells ya to what actually happens ya know?

anaxrocks

Retired Community Manager
ELITE
AnaXrocks
AnaXrocks
ELITE
Ratings
394 33
Hallo,

I find that the daily reboots are good the way it is now, rebooting every 7-8 hours to support the massive amounts of spawners and items that Aether has to prevent a lot of lag. If the reboots went back to every 12 hours it’d be way more laggy, especially with the growing amount of players who have access to mob spawners.

It might also make non-donor ranks happy since the afk kicker is every 6 hours so you’d need a console client to rejoin, sort of balancing the game a little more between people who have donor ranks and those who don’t.

In service and in friendship,
anaxrocks

RealTophatTom

Ratings
Hallo,

I find that the daily reboots are good the way it is now, rebooting every 7-8 hours to support the massive amounts of spawners and items that Aether has to prevent a lot of lag. If the reboots went back to every 12 hours it’d be way more laggy, especially with the growing amount of players who have access to mob spawners.

It might also make non-donor ranks happy since the afk kicker is every 6 hours so you’d need a console client to rejoin, sort of balancing the game a little more between people who have donor ranks and those who don’t.

In service and in friendship,
anaxrocks
I surely find there are better ways of balancing lag & quality, like with optimizing. Server reboots every 7-8 hours is a bit much and ends up taking more power and (yes I know non-donor ranks are 50% happier with vips and above getting booted for it) causing more controversy between donor ranks. I'll probably write up a suggestion later and see what happens with it.

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
I surely find there are better ways of balancing lag & quality, like with optimizing. Server reboots every 7-8 hours is a bit much and ends up taking more power and (yes I know non-donor ranks are 50% happier with vips and above getting booted for it) causing more controversy between donor ranks. I'll probably write up a suggestion later and see what happens with it.
The admins are always trying to find ways to optimize the server in better ways, but if you had to choose between an extremly laggy server, or rebooting for maybe 2 minutes at max, and then coming back with significantly less lag, what would you choose? What do you mean by taking up more power?

RealTophatTom

Ratings
The admins are always trying to find ways to optimize the server in better ways, but if you had to choose between an extremely laggy server, or rebooting for maybe 2 minutes at max, and then coming back with significantly less lag, what would you choose? What do you mean by taking up more power?
Because ok, to restart a server first the server has to close/end all of the tasks/programs then it has to actually shut itself off then start back up and reopen everything. That in time takes up double the power of just keeping everything running.

Also it's really not about the time it takes to reboot I am talking about, it's the amount of reboots that could be shortened to about 2 to properly make it bi-daily reboot. But of course that can't happen until Aether gets a bit more optimized than it is right now.

This thread was only made to really get opinions on the whole reboot thing anyway.

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,308 78
As Ana and Wings correctly said above; reboots are sometimes requested if there are issues in-game; for example commands not working, TPS dropping unexpectedly or issues with mobs - and happen on all servers from time-to-time - not just Aether.

While I do understand, and see your point; there are supposed to be ~2 programmed daily reboots, and the others are often requested in an attempt to resolve the afore mentioned things that sometimes do unfortunately occur. These are all issues that haven’t yet been resolved/haven’t needed to be looked into, as reboots conveniently resolve them.

From players’ perspectives, I do understand how it can cause frustration... but at the same time, players will also be frustrated if things don’t work 100% correctly at all times ... so either way, the staff don’t really win.

Forced reboots just seem to be the lesser of 2 (apparent) evils.

RealTophatTom

Ratings
As Ana and Wings correctly said above; reboots are sometimes requested if there are issues in-game; for example commands not working, TPS dropping unexpectedly or issues with mobs - and happen on all servers from time-to-time - not just Aether.

While I do understand, and see your point; there are supposed to be ~2 programmed daily reboots, and the others are often requested in an attempt to resolve the afore mentioned things that sometimes do unfortunately occur. These are all issues that haven’t yet been resolved/haven’t needed to be looked into, as reboots conveniently resolve them.

From players’ perspectives, I do understand how it can cause frustration... but at the same time, players will also be frustrated if things don’t work 100% correctly at all times ... so either way, the staff don’t really win.

Forced reboots just seem to be the lesser of 2 (apparent) evils.
Fair enough. It's just a battle you can't really win : p .

Capporo

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Capporo
Capporo
ELITE
Ratings
108 6
Do y'all think there are too many daily reboots? No way it can't just be me that finds 3 nearly 4 daily reboots is too many.
I do agree its too much but that what makes the server stable so other players won't lag more than usual. :}