LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
Hi! so recently I've been noticing that a lot of players use terms such as gay, autistic, retarded, whore, slut, etc... as insults and or descriptions for negative things, I personally do not find this appropriate at all. The part the bothers me the most is that once I reported someone for using one of these words in a negative way I was told there is nothing that they can do about it.

I am all about freedom of speech and all tat wonderful stuff but, allowing players so say things along the lines of "that's so gay", "dude, that's so retartded", " what are you autistic" creates a harmful and toxic environment. It scares away possible server regulars due to feeling uncomfortable or unsafe. I think staff and the server in general should take this more seriously.

Blurpyfied

Forum God
ELITE
Blurpyfied
Blurpyfied
ELITE
Ratings
959 435
you are allowed to curse on every server of manacube but skyblock so yes people do say that and it's mostly people joking just remember don't excessive curse.

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
Those terms are not curse words. They are inappropriate terms. You have to realize that if someone identifies as one of those terms that someone using it as a "joking term" can still be harmful to that person. None of those words are jokes, they are aspects of a person.

Blurpyfied

Forum God
ELITE
Blurpyfied
Blurpyfied
ELITE
Ratings
959 435
Those terms are not curse words. They are inappropriate terms. You have to realize that if someone identifies as one of those terms that someone using it as a "joking term" can still be harmful to that person. None of those words are jokes, they are aspects of a person.
Just calm it, if a staff said it was fine, then it was. but don't use what ever the cluck the words are on skyblock damnit

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
Just calm it, if a staff said it was fine, then it was. but don't use what ever the cluck the words are on skyblock damnit
The negative usage of terms like the ones stated above should not be allowed. Simply put.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
That isn't necessarily true, Kayla is reporting that she's upset with a rule, so (and for the record, I've never seen a staff member say it was fine) it's not "fine". It can be very upsetting. And it certainly doesn't seem like Kayla would be in the habit of saying the terms in question herself. I wish you would try to be a little considerate of others.

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
That isn't necessarily true, Kayla is reporting that she's upset with a rule, so (and for the record, I've never seen a staff member say it was fine) it's not "fine". It can be very upsetting. And it certainly doesn't seem like Kayla would be in the habit of saying the terms in question herself. I wish you would try to be a little considerate of others.
Thank you!

Just to clear the air I've only had one occasion of a staff member stating it was okay, I will not use any names of course to avoid any drama but basically the circumstance was that I reported a player for using one of the listed terms as a negative description word towards something he didn't agree with, therefore stating that the word used meant bad or nasty, etc... etc...

I was told by the staff member that it was allowed and there was nothing that they could do about it.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Thank you!

Just to clear the air I've only had one occasion of a staff member stating it was okay, I will not use any names of course to avoid any drama but basically the circumstance was that I reported a player for using one of the listed terms as a negative description word towards something he didn't agree with, therefore stating that the word used meant bad or nasty, etc... etc...

I was told by the staff member that it was allowed and there was nothing that they could do about it.
Something being allowed so they can't do anything implies they wish they could do something about it. Doesn't seem like the staff member thinks it's okay. :)

SillyScatter

Sllly
Sllly
Ratings
16 1
Hi! so recently I've been noticing that a lot of players use terms such as gay, autistic, retarded, whore, slut, etc... as insults and or descriptions for negative things, I personally do not find this appropriate at all. The part the bothers me the most is that once I reported someone for using one of these words in a negative way I was told there is nothing that they can do about it.

I am all about freedom of speech and all tat wonderful stuff but, allowing players so say things along the lines of "that's so gay", "dude, that's so retartded", " what are you autistic" creates a harmful and toxic environment. It scares away possible server regulars due to feeling uncomfortable or unsafe. I think staff and the server in general should take this more seriously.
Completely agree with this. I generally dislike the use of those words in pretty much any context, and if they could be stopped, then I think it’d be a step forward.

Last edited:

Danny__

Ratings
I have noticed that new players often abuse the rule of allowed cursing because other servers normally prohibit it, creating a boost in "joking terms" that are usually directed to offend people. I personally don't mind the rule because it allows people to express themselves easier, but being racist, sexist and homophobic should not be allowed and I know there is no easy way of filtering this language but online staff should be told not to hesitate to mute a player as soon as things like this arise.

_C4OnYourDoor_

ELITE
_C4OnYourDoor_
_C4OnYourDoor_
ELITE
Ratings
15 3
I think words shouldnt be blocked but at the same time it all depends on the person who its being said to as someone would take offence to the world "autistic" as others wouldnt mind at all

Ratings
4 1
I Don't agree and believe it has to do with the connotation that it is used in. Censoring these words outright because you are offended by them is really petty, people are allowed to say whatever they want, however if someone is using these words in a negative way they should be punished in a certain way.

Danny__

Ratings
I Don't agree and believe it has to do with the connotation that it is used in. Censoring these words outright because you are offended by them is really petty, people are allowed to say whatever they want, however if someone is using these words in a negative way they should be punished in a certain way.
As far as I am aware, terms like this are only mutable if directed at someone or used in a negative way, but really depends on the staff. I have been told multiple things about mutable language and what is actually and offence, but even if its not directed at a specific person, race or sexuality, it will still offend people on way or another. Although you could say that about every word in the English language, I still think people should be penalised for abusing such terms.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH KAYLA! I for one have been diagnosed with Autism for roughly six or something years. AND I also identify myself as gay so I do not feel comfortable when people use those terms. NOT TO MENTION using retarded, my friend has a health problem that makes it hard for her to process things going on around her. So if someone called her slut, she wouldn't even pick it up. I find it very offensive when people call others that, because some people are just different and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I don't think the words in questions SHOULD be censored and the staff should just be **aware** that they are to not hesitate and take action if it does occur.

LiLKayla

Forum Legend
ELITE
LiLKayla
LiLKayla
ELITE
Ratings
969 30
Thank you for the support and the constructive crit. Id like to point out that I do not want an over censored community, people should be able to speak freely, but... if something makes someone uncomfortable it could make them want to not be apart of the community. An overly offensive chat could turn new or younger players off. Please remember that this is Minecraft...the majority of people who play this game consistently are younger. Young minds are more impressionable than those who are older.

Blurpyfied

Forum God
ELITE
Blurpyfied
Blurpyfied
ELITE
Ratings
959 435
Thank you for the support and the constructive crit. Id like to point out that I do not want an over censored community, people should be able to speak freely, but... if something makes someone uncomfortable it could make them want to not be apart of the community. An overly offensive chat could turn new or younger players off. Please remember that this is Minecraft...the majority of people who play this game consistently are younger. Young minds are more impressionable than those who are older.
Just to point out im pretty sure this server is aged like 11-15 years i think. (I'm 13) and yes i get bullied by bums on mana but guess what idgaf about them I will just report them to like a Mod i trust / knew longer than most of the newer ones.

Danny__

Ratings
Just to point out im pretty sure this server is aged like 11-15 years i think. (I'm 13) and yes i get bullied by bums on mana but guess what idgaf about them I will just report them to like a Mod i trust / knew longer than most of the newer ones.
That's the best way to deal with it. I find pretending to not see the messages makes them shut up faster. It's a shame that people do things like this but they'll always be there and the best option, I believe, is to learn how to deal with it just like you have.

Blurpyfied

Forum God
ELITE
Blurpyfied
Blurpyfied
ELITE
Ratings
959 435
That's the best way to deal with it. I find pretending to not see the messages makes them shut up faster. It's a shame that people do things like this but they'll always be there and the best option, I believe, is to learn how to deal with it just like you have.
Then you got the option to turn off chat.

Blurpyfied

Forum God
ELITE
Blurpyfied
Blurpyfied
ELITE
Ratings
959 435
The problem with turning off chat is you can't see commands so if you wanted to tp to someone, you couldn't even if you wanted to.
There is a way you can i think if you only just enable something called Commands you can only type commands and not see chat.