Censor bit.ly

Should bit.ly be censored?

• Total voters

SSM_GOD

Forum Legend
Ratings
1,887 47
After many times of seeing link spammers, I have noticed they all are bit.ly links. So a simple solution would be to censor "bit.ly" and the rest of the message along with it. All other links, that are allowed, should still not be censored. With the shortened links, players can not tell what it is easily. With this censor, at least we would know where it would bring us if it's a full link and we opened it. As mentioned by a commenter, I realize that link shorteners are useful, but if you need one you probably shouldn't be posting the link on ManaCube in the first place.
I am not very familiar with how links work so it seems like a good and simple solution to an annoying problem.

Posted, is a screenshot example of a link spammer that would have failed their plan if this censor was in action.

There is a suggestion post available for upvotes at:
https://suggestions.manacube.com/suggestions/52807/censor-bitly#comment155816

If you think this might be a good idea, please respond by doing the poll.

Problem solver,
SSM

Attachments

Last edited:

Tywone

Dedicated Member
Donator+
Tywone
Tywone
MVP
Ratings
346 11
I personally don't see a reason to censor bit.ly links; they're widely used and beneficial when you're trying to paste a longer link into your minecraft client.

Additionally, there are tons of websites and tools you can use to "unshorten" a link and view information about it such as where the link leads to and safety/trust ratings.

I understand that there's a risk when it comes to shorten or hidden links, but I don't agree with them being censored simply because there are easy ways around it, as well as they're pretty beneficial.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
It's very very easy to ban the bit.ly spammers. As Tywone said, bit.ly is more than just a malware (or client or whatever they are) link.

Zeyon

MVP+
Zeyon
Zeyon
MVP+
Ratings
There are curious kids that don't think before they click those bit.ly spammers.
And I'm very worried for what the link will do.
Ofc it might be harmless but we never know for sure.
♥♥♥♥♥

MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
I'd say they were fine if links were allowed in chat, but they aren't, and link shorteners unusual TLDs (.gl, .ly) allow them to bypass. +1, I suggest adding the .ly and .gl TLDs to the anti-advertising plugin or adding a censor specifically for TinyURL, Adfly, Bitly, Owly, and Googl.

Zeyon

MVP+
Zeyon
Zeyon
MVP+
Ratings
I'd say they were fine if links were allowed in chat, but they aren't, and link shorteners unusual TLDs (.gl, .ly) allow them to bypass. +1, I suggest adding the .ly and .gl TLDs to the anti-advertising plugin or adding a censor specifically for TinyURL, Adfly, Bitly, Owly, and Googl.
o ye :v
that's true uwu

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Don't forget youtu.be

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
all links should be banned in general, the new chat filter doesn't allow you to post links or send IPs. However, I saw a case where there were IP spammers somehow bypassed the filter. I've tried testing the filter by posting manacube's IP, and it tells me "plz do not post links or IPs in chat." Plus, it shouldn't show up in chat, so u get that plz don't post message AND the message can't be seen by other players. (Assuming here that staff prolly can see those messages if they checked logs...?)

MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
Yeah definitely seems strange to me that it blocks its own server rules, but not ip grabbers. I really hope something comes out of this. Speaking of which. There is already a suggestion for this: https://suggestions.manacube.com/suggestions/52807/censor-bitly I personally voted it up and I hope if you feel this needs to be fixed fixed it helps you out.
Havd a great day!
~bca_
The creator of this thread was also the creator of the suggestion, no need to inform him about it haha