How to Measure Distance for Spawner Loading

ssnek_

ELITE
ssnek_
ssnek_
ELITE
Ratings
26 1
Hi, I'm confused on how to measure the distance between my avatar and spawners so they'll load. I heard the max distance spawners will load from you is 15 blocks, but how do you measure that at an angle?

If I'm standing on the diamond block in the pic below, which line of dirt is "5 blocks away" diagonally?
2020-01-08_00.53.42.png

Last edited:

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,308 78
Hi there!

I believe as long as you’re in the same chunk as the spawners, they should load. Of course, you want to be as close to them as possible to be sure they’re working however. Regardless of the direction, the limit will be the same amount of blocks apart - so whether the 15 block max is true or not, it’ll be the same distance in all directions.

(You can measure chunks by pressing F3 + G on your keyboard, and it should load yellow lines on your screen, indicating how big each chunk is).

Hope this helps!

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
It is 16 blocks but how you spread it diagonally gets a little interesting. However you have to be within 16 blocks of the spawners to work, take note this does not mean they all have to be within a singular chunk. If a spawner is not working you will not see the miniature charicature inside the spawner spinning or in earlier versions having fire particles burst out. This will tell you whether a spawner is working or not. To test this especially for iron golem farms on Skyblock and Islands work your way in so you can see the column of spawners and whether the entity spins within it.
Hope this is what you were looking for!
- Raptor
Edit: Also I'll double check with Doons and Chicken but I'm pretty sure 5 blocks away on the right hand side when its diagonal Snakey

MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
Hi, I'm confused on how to measure the distance between my avatar and spawners so they'll load. I heard the max distance spawners will load from you is 15 blocks, but how do you measure that at an angle?

If I'm standing on the diamond block in the pic below, which line of dirt is "5 blocks away" diagonally?
View attachment 21824
I might be incorrect about this, but I believe that Minecraft utilizes the Pythagorean Theorem to measure diagonal distance. This is A^2 + B^2 = C^2. A would be the vertical distance, and B would be the horizontal distance. Assuming you're using a perfect 45 degree angle for your diagonal (1/1 slope, 1 up/down for 1 left/right), you can have them at a maximum of 11 blocks away vertically and 11 blocks away horizontally.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
I might be incorrect about this, but I believe that Minecraft utilizes the Pythagorean Theorem to measure diagonal distance. This is A^2 + B^2 = C^2. A would be the vertical distance, and B would be the horizontal distance. Assuming you're using a perfect 45 degree angle for your diagonal (1/1 slope, 1 up/down for 1 left/right), you can have them at a maximum of 11 blocks away vertically and 11 blocks away horizontally.
Whilst I think you're right I've check as long as you've loaded in the chunks and have your alt/account with 16 blocks of all the spawners you're fine. means you just set your alt to 32 chunk loading distance and it will work fine.

MCBYT

Forum Master
ELITE
MCBYT
MCBYT
ELITE
Ratings
491 19
Whilst I think you're right I've check as long as you've loaded in the chunks and have your alt/account with 16 blocks of all the spawners you're fine. means you just set your alt to 32 chunk loading distance and it will work fine.
Yes, correct. If they're on the same level as you are, it would be 16^2 + 0^2 = C, so the straight distance and final distance would be the same.

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Yes, correct. If they're on the same level as you are, it would be 16^2 + 0^2 = C, so the straight distance and final distance would be the same.
Oh well there we go. Not going to pretend I thought of that not saying its hard math just wasn't thinking of it like that aha.

Ratings
Hi there!

I believe as long as you’re in the same chunk as the spawners, they should load. Of course, you want to be as close to them as possible to be sure they’re working however. Regardless of the direction, the limit will be the same amount of blocks apart - so whether the 15 block max is true or not, it’ll be the same distance in all directions.

(You can measure chunks by pressing F3 + G on your keyboard, and it should load yellow lines on your screen, indicating how big each chunk is).

Hope this helps!
Yes! As long as the chunk that the spawners are in is loaded, the spawners will function, assuming the placement is correct. Additionally, f3+b shows the chunk boarders, which can help you know where to place the spawners so that they are all inside one chunk!