Need a crafting recipe? Don't feel like googling it? Here's a solution!

xEricL

MVP+
xEricL
xEricL
MVP+
Ratings
80 5
Hello everyone!

So I'm sure many of you (excluding those who play on ManaCube's Creative server, for obvious reasons) have been in a situation where you wanted to craft something, but the recipe has completely vanished from your mind.

When this happens, you probably just decide to either Google the recipe, ask someone for the recipe in chat, or, if you're patient enough, attempt to orient a bunch of materials in some way until you finally get it.

I'm sure these solutions have worked well enough in the past to fulfill all of your crafting needs. However, I've found another awesome solution that makes crafting easier, faster, and certainly more convenient.

So, I'm sure many of you are familiar with, or have at least seen the green recipe book located below the crafting section of your inventory. If you haven't seen it before, here's a screenshot indicating where you can find it.

(Click on the image below!)
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 12.08.48 AM.png

In the past, I've always assumed that this addition to Minecraft was entirely pointless; maybe because I didn't fully understand how it worked.

Now, I could just bore you with all the nitty-gritty details of this feature; but for the sake of time, I'll just give you a quote from Dinnerbone — one of Mojang's head Minecraft developers.

"
The way it works in vanilla survival is that you either "discover" a recipe by crafting it manually, or some other condition where we think "okay now you have sticks, we'll teach you how to make a pickaxe". After a recipe is "discovered" it's available in this recipe book, an optional thing you can click to in a crafting screen. From there you can see all the recipes you've discovered and how to craft them, so you don't need to google for the shape and ingredients.
"

At this point, you might be saying to yourself, "so what?"

Well, the nice part about this crafting recipe-book is that you no longer have to click and drag blocks across the 3x3 crafting square in your crafting table. If you wanna craft chests, all you need to do is shift-click on the chest icon in the recipe book, and it automatically arranges the max number of wooden planks in the way that they need to be organized in order to craft chests. Then, just shift-click on the chest icon that shows up to the right of your crafting table, and BOOM, two quick clicks and you have yourself a stack of chests.

On the other hand, the not-so-nice part is that sometimes your recipe book might not have the recipe that you need to craft a certain item at that moment in time. This is, of course, is when you would decide to search Google or ask your friendly ManaCube community for the recipe.

Now, I don't know about you, but I LOVE to be quick and efficient when I play video-games for extended periods of time. Sometimes, I just can't be bothered to open up my internet-browser just to search up a crafting recipe or sit in chat and wait for people to respond to my request.

Well here's where my solution comes in handy!

All you need to do is:

Step 1) Open up Single Player mode and select "Create New World".
Step 2) Select "More World Options".
Step 3) Set "Allow Cheats" to "ON".
Step 4) Start up the world and open up chat.

Step 5) Copy and paste the following command into the chat bar & hit enter.

/recipe give @p *
Step 6) Profit.

Now, when you log back onto your favorite ManaCube server, you should have EVERY crafting recipe at your disposal in your green recipe book.

I hope you guys found this tip/tutorial useful!

Side note:
I apologize if my coloring scheme hurt your eyes or was too distracting; this is my first thread on the forums and I'm still trying to figure out how to color my posts so they're visually stimulating but also not too distracting.

Please feel free to leave suggestions/constructive criticism below.

As always, thank you for your time & I hope to see you around!

- Eric
(rtheta/450airsoft)

chuck

ELITE
gurt
gurt
ELITE
Ratings
65 65
didnt work

edit - i got bored 15 seconds into reading

edit2 - I actually tried it and yea it didnt work.

Last edited:

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,321 82
Hello, Eric!

Thank you for creating an in-depth thread about one of the newer features in the Minecraft inventory/crafting menu. I only have one small critique about one of your suggestions.

/recipe give @p *
Step 6) Profit.

Now, when you log back onto your favorite ManaCube server, you should have EVERY crafting recipe at your disposal in your green recipe book.
For players (such as myself for example), who go between servers such as Olympus and Survival, they will need to switch versions as Olympus is 1.12 and Survival is now recently 1.13. Also just if you’re going between playing around with the brand new update (1.14) in your singleplayer world, then decide you wanna hop onto ManaCube and go mining.

Switching versions seems to disturb; control settings, resource packs if you use them, and also in-game achievements and advancements, which is why sometimes you’ll be mining in Titan mine, and then the next thing you know, Minecraft is telling you to karate-chop a tree to get wood ...

Obviously we still have access to the little green book in the crafting and inventory, so you do definitely bring up some good points with that. I think that the good thing about PC crafting, is that you need to work out the recipes and try to find them yourself, whereas on the console versions the recipes are handed to you.

xEricL

MVP+
xEricL
xEricL
MVP+
Ratings
80 5
@Hallowqueen That's right! I completely forgot about the settings changing when you switch between versions/profiles. I guess I should've mentioned that this only works for those who only really stick to a single version of Minecraft.

Also, yeah I can see how some people might find it fun to discover all of the crafting recipes one by one. I took that into consideration when writing up this post; but then I realized that I put a pretty big emphasis on the fact that this tip only really pertains to the people who always find themselves Googling crafting recipes, which excludes those who want to discover them on their own.

Nevertheless, thank you for taking the time to read it through and thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,321 82
I realized that I put a pretty big emphasis on the fact that this tip only really pertains to the people who always find themselves Googling crafting recipes, which excludes those who want to discover them on their own.
In complete fairness however, the title of your thread is aimed at people who tend to google recipes, so your guide is very much still relevant! Just my personal preference when I’m playing single player, haha.

Calari

Dedicated Member
MVP+
Calari
Calari
MVP+
Ratings
150 7
yes i agree that this post might enlighten a couple users who haven't fully realized the potential of the recipe book.
however sometimes i find myself doing it by hand just cause the search or click of a button or two in the recipe book is, or at least feels more tedious / longer than crafting yourself. for all my bulk-crafting however - like the stuff i sell in my shop - the recipe book is worth gold (whenever i dont have problems due to version-switching ^^ aaaah, minecraft xD). nice post.