Recommendation for staff

LeiSkule

Dedicated Member
Mapper
LeiSkule
LeiSkule
Ratings
50 2
It seems that sometimes a map is too hard for its difficulty, and judges say that it is under review and all they have to do is change the difficulty. My question is why don’t the judges just change it themselves? Not trying to be rude but it takes like 10 secs to change green wool to yellow. Just a small recommendation

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
It seems that sometimes a map is too hard for its difficulty, and judges say that it is under review and all they have to do is change the difficulty. My question is why don’t the judges just change it themselves? Not trying to be rude but it takes like 10 secs to change green wool to yellow. Just a small recommendation
I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that they try to keep it as original as the player submitted it. If the map was built with an Easy difficulty in mind, but it was actually very difficult, then it would be in the staff's best interest to tell the player that it is too difficult, so that they can fix it accordingly. I can see your point, and I can see why it would be easier to change the difficulty compared to the actual map. It is also about the approximate number of jumps associated with the difficulty. If the map has too many/not enough jumps to be a certain difficulty, again, they rather have the player make changes to their own maps then the other way around. It also saves time, because there are a lot of different submissions, and going through and having to change them all seems a little bit overkill. Like I've said, I don't know if this is true for what the staff are doing, but that's what I think would make sense. I'm not a member of staff, so don't just take my word for it.

Best,
WingsOfFyre

k_rissy

Forum God
PATRON+
k_rissy
k_rissy
Patron+
Ratings
1,319 25
It's not as simple as changing the difficulty of the map.

As you may know, we have a guide of how long each difficulty should be, and sometimes experts are too hard for its difficulty, but too short for an insane. Likewise, a map might be too easy for a hard but too long for a medium. In these cases, we put the map under "reviewing" as they require a significant change from the map maker(s). Now if a map is good but two jumps need adjusting, of course we will do that on our own. But each situation is different, and that's why "reviewing" is even an option.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Kat said it well. If someone submits an Insane map but it's overall too easy, sure, you could just make it an Expert but now that Expert is 130 jumps long, which is too long. It's easier just to ask the map maker to nerf it, because that also keeps the originality of their map instead of judges fixing a load of things.

I do think personally that there is more that judges could do before putting a map into reviewing, since it's always seemed to me like a last step.