warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23
A good thing to use is the Pomodorro technique. There are apps for this. It's basically a study technique to keep your attention optimal. 25 minutes of studying, break for 5 minutes to stand up, go to the toilet, get a glass of water, just be awake from your books. Same for like, 4 times the 25 minutes, then you get a longer break.

On top of that, read your whole book/course first and just highlight the essentials. This way you already make a "map" of the material you're studying, which makes it easier to study it afterwards. When you start to feel like your brain is full of your course, don't be scared to switch to another one. It's proven that this really helps.

Make sure to get enough sleep. I know it's a cliché but the brain transfers the material from your short term memory to your long term memory while in REM sleep. It's better to just go to sleep than skipping sleep and studying your course again.

These are some tips straight from my psychology classes. These are things that work for most people, if not all.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Sleep and breaks. There is absolutely no reason to stare at a book or computer for longer than half an hour at a time, and for any longer than a couple hours in a night/afternoon. Your brain absorbs information much better if it has a chance to relax and recuperate before another session. And don't study late into the night. When you feel yourself getting tired, stop. You don't need to overdo yourself, and you can seriously impact your performance the next day.

Lastly, don't stress. Life goes on without memorization for school, and you should too. Commit the amount of time you want to, and don't let studying occupy your thoughts 24/7.

Capporo

Dedicated Member
ELITE
Capporo
Capporo
ELITE
Ratings
108 6
I've recently had to work on studying and memorization stuff for drama and school, but I just wanted to know some of your guys tips you use for studying. I'll figure something out soon, but just wanted to see what helped you guys.

-Blueraz
I'll give you 3 tips:
Don't study in bed/sofa
take a 5min break no longer between each study session
take notes that you feel that your comfortable with

rangedhealer77

Forum Legend
PATRON+
rangedhealer77
rangedhealer77
Patron+
Ratings
761 16
Hi!

I totally get memorization with drama, oh those were some rough times! Somethings I would do is write down my lines on a separate sheet of paper. I would also make my own movements for remembering my lines, just like an action you can do so when your body is in that position your line feels natural! Lastly I would call up one of my friends and send them my lines so we can goof off together and learn them. It does make the process a little bit slower but all around a little more fun :]

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,308 78
For essays or anything which involves a lot of writing, personally I’d strongly suggest writing up a first “draft” or even just part of it at a time, then coming back to it and reading over it.

If you distract yourself with something before you go back to read it, it’ll give you a whole new outlook as you likely won’t remember what you had written before, so you’ll be able to critique it, as well as gain new inspiration if you hit a writers block!

Just something I used to do in high school with my English essays - I think it’s great personally!

sapqhire

Forum Master
ELITE
sapqhire
sapqhire
ELITE
Ratings
365 9
A couple tips that I have:

Firstly, like others have mentioned, don't stay up too late trying to study and learn information, trying to stimulate your brain while you're tired won't achieve anything, and you might have trouble sleeping. But what I would suggest, say if you have some notes, or are recalling something like a script, causally read it over before you go to bed. Don't think too hard about it, but I find lightly reading over information, then sleeping makes me remember it better when I wake up.
Something else you could try, is if you have a section of information you're trying to remember, start with the full paragraph, then slowly try to rewrite it, and cut down as many words as you can, even changing some words into just the letter they start with (For example, the word excellent you could change that to just 'e') as the further you cut down and are able to remember what you're writing, the more it will stay with you.
Hope these help!

pestolicious

Forum Expert
ELITE
pestolicious
pestolicious
ELITE
Ratings
410 14
Hey I know this is late reply but I don't think it is ever too late for studying tips!

I have currently just stopped taking drama as an elective after two years since I am moving into my senior years of school, but I can tell you my studying tricks and hopefully they are useful. For studying for a script I did two things:

1. My first way of learning and studying my script was saying my script while recording it. Then, I would listen to the recording whenever I had a chance to and tried to match my words to the recording until I could recite the whole script along with the recording.

2. It is basically the same kind of concept, but I would write the script down onto cards and tried to say my lines without looking at them, but having them there incase I forgot. I continued to do this until I could say all of my lines without looking down at the cards.

If I was too late I'm sorry, but I hope this helps for future assignments! Best of luck in Drama :D Also, I would spend 30 minutes studying then a 5 minute break. Breaks are important!

Alazka

MVP
Alazka
Alazka
MVP
Ratings
Music without words. It’s best to have something going in the background to be able to stay concentrated

el_penguino3

MVP+
el_penguino3
el_penguino3
MVP+
Ratings
For intense studying, I like to eat a few squares of dark chocolate (typically Lindt 85% cocoa). This helps me stay focused.
For lighter studying, I might go with something a bit lighter, such as Lindt 78% cocoa.

As for musical accompaniment, I am partial to a particular track called "Trance to Study By: All-Nighter" by Delta Notch (8 hours long).
Downloads for that song and others can be found at https://www.facebook.com/DeltaNotch/app/137541772984354/.

I also like listening to my Favorites playlist on Spotify.

Sometimes, I feel like music is disrupting my concentration so I have to turn it off.

Find what works best for you and use it.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
When I had to memorize lines for a play, (I was Toto in the Wizard of Oz...) I would read through the script highlight my lines and just keep reading them over and over again. It's also helpful when you get other people together and you practice. Practice does help A LOT! (okay, I admit... at one point I practically had the whole play memorised O_O)

For anything else, like remembering terms and definitions, write it out a couple times! Put stuff in words that you can understand and are easier for you to remember. (Screw fancy textbook language, no one understands that shit, or even read it...)

Chris (づ˘ ³˘)づ

Forum Expert
ELITE
luela
luela
ELITE
Ratings
186 2
I feel that if you put what you are memorizing into a song you are very familiar with, it is easy to memorize. There was this Psychology TV Show I was watching and they said a bunch of names regularly and I couldn’t remember them. But when they said it to the Nationwide Jingle, I can still remember the names: Rachel, Laura, Devyn, Ann. It really helps :)

Chris (uglees)

Twistedd

Dedicated Member
ELITE
TwistedTree
TwistedTree
ELITE
Ratings
32 4
I’m bad at tips :c