The CHICKEN GRINDER CHALLENGE! *giggles*

Ratings
OK, so here I present a problem, and a call for possible solutions from the community!
What is it?
I wanted to create an automatic Chicken Grinder... one that ostensibly (but not necessarily) provides cooked chicken as output along with feathers.
So... I've spent the better part of the week trying different concepts, all of which have a particular drawback, which I'll outline below.
Now, *cooked* chicken would be a bonus, but I would accept raw, and cook it manually in my free time.
To Wit: I first tried dropping chicken through lava, but they are WAY too light... unlike heavy mobs like cows, sheep, and pigs, they die as soon as they touch, and the drops burn up.
OK, so the lava-dip is out, as far as a strategy.
Forcing a chicken down a confined water-chute over magma cubes is a viable alternative, one I've used in Creative (using command blocks as spawners)... as long as they take burn damage from a magma cube, you can get cooked chicken.
This leads me to the second problem I've encountered:
A chicken is ONLY 0.7 cube (meter) tall!!! This makes top-burning impossible, and it also makes top-pushing (like you do with big mobs) impossible!!
A cow, you can have a piston on the second-high block, and push it of the grass block it spawns on. That clears whatever detector you use. A chicken, the piston would have to push through the detector, breaking the system.
For example: I have a spawner, and a single grass block for the spawn point... about the only way to detect the presence of the chicken, is to use a tripwire. And, the ONLY way to push the chicken off would be with a piston, breaking the tripwire that sends the signal to grind.
SO... I had the brilliant idea to spawn the chicken on a grass block under a tripwire... and upon signal, PULL the grass block out from under the chicken, dropping it into the grind-works.
PROBLEM: chickens often do NOT spawn close to the center of the block!! The center of the chicken will spawn *somewhere* over the grass... but that means as many times as not, it will be far enough to one side, such that the chicken's hitbox will overlap the neighboring block.
In this event, the piston retracts the grass block, and the darned chicken hangs on the edge of the next block (hugging the tripwire hook), giving you the troll-face while it's SUPPOSED to be falling to its demise.

Now here's the tickler:
it IS possible to create a smash-grinder that uses no detection to discover a chicken spawning on the grass. It consists of a clocked piston continuously stomping the grass block where chickens will spawn. Of course, there is no detection apparatus to be destroyed by the piston; it is taken for granted there will be a chicken there at some point which will be smothered by a piston-driven block.
This can be combined with a bit of clever redstone to alternately wash the block(s) with water to shove drops to a hopper between suffocation mashes.

So, MY CHALLENGE:
Can anyone brain-up a system that
1) detects the chicken spawning (without using a free-running masher),
and
2) successfully grinds it every time, no hangups. (cooking not required, but a bonus!)

Looking forward to your thoughts, everyone. Have fun with this!

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Hmmm, ok, for the uninitiated, could you be more specific?
what is, and how to?

And, I was really meaning a traditional redstone build, tbh... but you've piqued my interest. :)
A slayer minion is a minion which when you afk near it will kill mobs for you, you can link it to chests and collect the xp from it.
Here is a slayer minion:
1580111428965.png

1580111512442.png

They generally sell for 50-70 million on survival and makes some automatic grinders far easier to make on a small scale. This will probably solve your issue with a chicken grinder if you can acquire one of these?

- Raptor

Ratings
Chicken spawners up the wazoo... but do tell more about these Minions? Don't be cryptic?
how to acquire? how to implement?
(also again, NOT what I was going for ITT... this was about a call for possible redstone grinder solutions lol)
<3

(also, price is like 10-20x what I can afford now lol, early-game here)

Sonic_Raptor

Forum God
ELITE
Sonic_Raptor
Sonic_Raptor
ELITE
Ratings
1,787 69
Chicken spawners up the wazoo... but do tell more about these Minions? Don't be cryptic?
how to acquire? how to implement?
(also again, NOT what I was going for ITT... this was about a call for possible redstone grinder solutions lol)
<3

(also, price is like 10-20x what I can afford now lol, early-game here)
Ahhh I see, sorry I know I'm taking the thread off topic! I'll reply then this will be the last you'll hear from me. You can buy them from other players, the store and acquire them from seasonal crates that come out. To implement them its fairly self explanatory you place them in a 9x9 area with a mob spawner and link it to a chest using the minion menu. Let me know if you want to know more or hmu in game I'd be glad to demonstrate how they work!
- Raptor

Ratings
Nuuuu I like hearing from you! You're full of good infos :)
I was unaware about Minions...

But back to brass tacks, I just KNOW there has to be a way to successfully create a chicken-triggered grinder that does NOT simply use a perpetual piston masher. (yeah, I'm a bit of a redstone geek :p )
I'm dying to see what others might think about this.