Using the "N-Word" on Skyblock?

Ratings
Personally I do believe that this word in all forms of spelling could be better moved to being a "blacklist" word. As the word is negative, or carries negative connotations then having it permitted in any way, shape, or spelling allowed then some people could be offended? I don't mean to overstep my boundaries here, but having words like that permitted allows people (younger audiences normally) to start picking up vocabulary like that, and applying it in life settings which could be used to disrespect one another. Personally I would think adding words like or similar to it should be removed, as it is similar to when people discuss the Nazi party over chat, as (the N word) is a word or slang which can be used as offensive. The difference between those two are not so different as one must consider the oppression and disrespect that occurred to that group of people, and the connotations that follow, so accepting that slang may be understood as negative, whereas if it were to be abolished then there would be no risk of offending someone. All I mean it that it shouldn't matter how it is spelled. It is what it means, and how the word has been used in the past. Thoughts or concerns please comment below :)

-MA

RozaThePanda

MVP+
MVP+
RozaThePanda
RozaThePanda
MVP+
Ratings
160 7
Hi @ManaAddict11866,

This is a good suggestion that I believe should be looked into. However, I would suggest making a suggestion about it at https://suggestions.manacube.com/ . It will be more noticed by both players and staff there as well have a higher chance of getting added. People can upvote your suggestion if they agree with you there. That way we know what the players want and can keep improving Manacube!

Have a nice day/night.
-Roza

milkified

Dedicated Member
ELITE
milkified
milkified
ELITE
Ratings
231 1
Hey! Words are a powerful weapon, especially when its origin and power is not taken into consideration. Since this is not the first time I am replying to such topic, I'd start with listing:
- If such expressions are not meant towards anybody in particular (such as in jokes), or if they're used in conversation (as you mentioned, Nazi party), they should not be taken offensive. For example: I, as a blonde, cannot take every blond joke as personal offense and start a fight. I am aware that's a mild example and that the curses we're talking about here, have a richer history and a lot of violence behind them. That's my opinion.
- ManaCube is not marked as family friendly server, which means we're allowed to curse and discuss explicit topics, as long as it is kept in boundaries of appropriate manner. Younger audience may pick up words here, but that does not mean they have not come among them in their lives already - such as in school, home or anywhere whatsoever.
- As by the Rules, there are multiple examples of global ban offenses. It is clearly stated that any excessive harassment will result in ban or mute. If you ever encounter such situation, type /helpop to call a staff member. If none are online, take proof of harassment and sumbit a ticket.

I am aware that many will not agree with me. I come from community where so-called black humour is normalized and not taken as offensive, as long as it does not cross boundaries of joking.
I would provide you a link where we had a great discussion about this very topic, but, unfortunately, it has been deleted.
My suggestion would be providing a setting for anybody to use to filter out offensive content. As a former higher ranked member of 200K+ community, I can assure you that if such content gets globally banned, people find a way around to talk about it, but never in an offensive manner. Although, if somebody's purpose is to offend audience, they will troll with bypassing. In such situation, the player is usually muted - just like right now, without filter, on ManaCube.

All stated above, with the exception of second and third point, is my opinion. ManaCube should not be valued by an individual's opinion, although I am open for conversation and glad to hear your point of view.

Ratings
Hey @milkified, the main reason I posted was that there was a huge outbreak of people trying to be funny and trying to play around the boundaries. I do see that there is a group of people who may be offended by the terms. Unfortunately I felt compelled to post this because on the odd occasions (3 times now in a week whilst I have been on) there are players who try to be funny and use the word in a negative fashion. I do have plenty of screenshots of what resulted by this. And I feel as if it would be much better to eliminate the risk of people exploiting the rules, or being annoying, or even offending people. Like I said thought, it is just my opinion. Thank you for the reply

-MA

milkified

Dedicated Member
ELITE
milkified
milkified
ELITE
Ratings
231 1
That is completely understandable. If the outcome was negative, submit a ticket and mods will look into it. As I do not play SB, I don't know the community there, but such offenders are dealt quickly with on Olympus.
I must heart you for your quick action and concern for other players. Keep up the good work and enjoy your day! <3

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,320 82
This is a very common suggestion amongst players, something I’d like to clarify is that while we allow players to use the term “nigga”, it does still have its boundaries and limitations.

We want players to express themselves and feel comfortable in the ManaCube community. While I do understand and see your point, I don’t believe stopping players from saying it altogether would make a change at all, and it’d be quite hard to ban the word outright without there being a stir. I think the younger players within the community are far more likely to hear the term in a modern song, or being used by a celebrity/influencer - as the word is thrown around so often nowadays. Personally, I don’t believe in using the word as I believe it can be offensive to people even in a non-derogatory context, therefore I don’t use it, and that’s fine.

The term itself, 9 times out of 10 isn’t used derogatorily or to bring someone down, most of the time it’s just used to reference a friend or an acquaintance. However, like I mentioned above, it does have its limitations - We discourage the use of the word if it’s excessive, and will ask players to stop if they are using it in practically every sentence, or just a very unnecessary amount. Players pushing the boundaries of hatespeech, will also be asked to stop, or depending on the severity and just how close they are to using it as an alternative to hatespeech, will be punished accordingly.

If you see someone abusing this, using the word in place of hate speech, using it in a derogatory context, or just outright excessively, then please do not hesitate to report it to a member of staff. We don’t want players to feel uncomfortable on the server, and especially due to other players. However, if a player is just using the word now and then and aren’t trying to cause offence, and you don’t wish to see it, you’re more than welcome to use /ignore <IGN>.

Edit: Another thing I’d like to clarify, is that we DON’T allow discussions of Hitler, Nazi’s or anything related to that, as we view topics such as this as ‘Sensitive / Inappropriate’ and depending on severity and context, sometimes hatespeech. Players with Hitler, Nazi, KKK skins for example, are asked to change them, and if they refuse, are banned from the network ‘til such times it does change.

Thank you for expressing your concerns. We love hearing players’ opinions and feedback, and maybe some day the rule will change, but for now, I believe things are quite fair and aren’t subject to change just yet. If you wish to discuss it further, I’d be more than happy to hear what you’ve got to say.

Have a nice day/night!

menaciingly

Forum Expert
ELITE
menaciing
menaciing
ELITE
Ratings
176 20
Personally I do believe that this word in all forms of spelling could be better moved to being a "blacklist" word. As the word is negative, or carries negative connotations then having it permitted in any way, shape, or spelling allowed then some people could be offended? I don't mean to overstep my boundaries here, but having words like that permitted allows people (younger audiences normally) to start picking up vocabulary like that, and applying it in life settings which could be used to disrespect one another. Personally I would think adding words like or similar to it should be removed, as it is similar to when people discuss the Nazi party over chat, as (the N word) is a word or slang which can be used as offensive. The difference between those two are not so different as one must consider the oppression and disrespect that occurred to that group of people, and the connotations that follow, so accepting that slang may be understood as negative, whereas if it were to be abolished then there would be no risk of offending someone. All I mean it that it shouldn't matter how it is spelled. It is what it means, and how the word has been used in the past. Thoughts or concerns please comment below :)

-MA
Agreeing with, what I'm sure people have said before, the slur can and will be used offensively, of course, but that does not mean that the word itself is used offensively all the time. I agree, yes, the word should be censored in my opinion as well, but the word is not always used offensively towards people of color. It is commonly used as slang to refer to a friend, almost like you may use the words, "Pal," "Buddy," "Dude," etc.

The word has a very corrupt past, that is obviously true, but allowing the word is a way to reclaim the word, in some forms. That's why it's used nowadays, as nobody openly says (The N word) offensively towards someone unless they're a troll, or just truly a horrible person that doesn't understand where limits must be drawn.

That being said, even if the N word is allowed when written with ga instead of ger, the context behind the word is also very important as well. If you are to say, "Hey, what's up, my n***a", that's fine, but if you were to say "All n***a's should die, nasty n***a's!" That's going to give you a mute. (Please don't mute me, it's an example, I swear) Context is still important, and lines are still to be drawn even if one version of the word is allowed and another is not. Even if you say, "Hey, what's up my n***er", you're still going to get muted, because that version is never used to directly refer to a friend, it is used offensively towards people of color.

Ratings
Agreeing with, what I'm sure people have said before, the slur can and will be used offensively, of course, but that does not mean that the word itself is used offensively all the time. I agree, yes, the word should be censored in my opinion as well, but the word is not always used offensively towards people of color. It is commonly used as slang to refer to a friend, almost like you may use the words, "Pal," "Buddy," "Dude," etc.

The word has a very corrupt past, that is obviously true, but allowing the word is a way to reclaim the word, in some forms. That's why it's used nowadays, as nobody openly says (The N word) offensively towards someone unless they're a troll, or just truly a horrible person that doesn't understand where limits must be drawn.

That being said, even if the N word is allowed when written with ga instead of ger, the context behind the word is also very important as well. If you are to say, "Hey, what's up, my n***a", that's fine, but if you were to say "All n***a's should die, nasty n***a's!" That's going to give you a mute. (Please don't mute me, it's an example, I swear) Context is still important, and lines are still to be drawn even if one version of the word is allowed and another is not. Even if you say, "Hey, what's up my n***er", you're still going to get muted, because that version is never used to directly refer to a friend, it is used offensively towards people of color.
Thank you for your thoughts and reply; however, couldn't all this be ignored if we removed it all together?

Fewuser

Naughtality
Naughtality
Ratings
3 1

-MA
I 100% agree. This word is used more often than not in a derogatory way. And is offence wither you are the person its being hurled at by or not.

menaciingly

Forum Expert
ELITE
menaciing
menaciing
ELITE
Ratings
176 20
Thank you for your thoughts and reply; however, couldn't all this be ignored if we removed it all together?
I doubt blacklisting the word will make it much better this late into ManaCube or rather Minevast. People will argue over whether it should be allowed or not solely because they wanna use it. I see more people using the n word in Skyblock to refer to friends and non offensively than I hear it in modern day rap/normal music.
I 100% agree. This word is used more often than not in a derogatory way. And is offence wither you are the person its being hurled at by or not.
It's really not. The people you've seen use it might use it offensively as every server has its trolls and bad eggs, but the N word doesn't always mean its degrading.

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,320 82
If you see anyone using it in a derogatory way, or to try to cause offense/flame wars, please report it to a member of staff, and we will deal with it. We look at context, and while the word alone isn’t considered hate speech, in some contexts, it can be punishable.

If a player is using it within the rules of the server, and you don’t wish to see it, you can /ignore them, and encourage others who may be offended or wish to not see it to do the same.