Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Okay, so I know this is probably going to get a lot of back lash, but I think if we are going to censor the n word, we should also censor the r word. If you don't know what it is, it's retarded or just retard. This is extremely offensive, and I believe it's just as offensive as the n word. I myself have multiple disabilities, and have several friends who have disabilities. No one should ever call someone or something retarded, if you are going to use it, use it properly.
Retard: "to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." It's not nice to point out someone is less advanced cognitively or mentally or socially. Just because they may have a health problem that makes it harder for them to learn, or to do whatever, doesn't mean they aren't capable of anything. And they are still human, they should be treated with more respect. This is why I believe it's extremely rude when people start throwing the word around in chat like it's nothing; and yet we can't throw the n word around.

Ratings
22 2
But why on earth would you call someone with disabilities retarded? Thats just people with low iq who does.

also i think bitch should be censored too. i dont see how its allowed to call anyone bitch

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
But why on earth would you call someone with disabilities retarded? Thats just people with low iq who does.

also i think bitch should be censored too. i dont see how its allowed to call anyone bitch
True. Is "bitch" not censored? I agree that it should be. If someone hasn't already, I'd defenitly put it in the suggestions page (suggestions.manacube.com)

Qubs

MVP+
Qubs
Qubs
MVP+
Ratings
I am sorry to hear, that you are offended by "the R word". The N word has so many negative connotations that it is simply needed to be censored. I am personally an advocate of free speech, which means that if you are not deliberately trying to offend someone you should be able to use any words you like, cause they are just that (words). Like where's the problem in me asking my friend "nibba what?"(XD). I know it is impossible in the current world so I'm not actively trying to encourage that, but I would like to see as little words censored as possible. I am neutral towards the word retard, I guess it may be offensive so idk. I think it's best if the mods decide.

oWinqs

Forum Legend
MVP+
oWinqs
oWinqs
MVP+
Ratings
519 19
I am sorry to hear, that you are offended by "the R word". The N word has so many negative connotations that it is simply needed to be censored. I am personally an advocate of free speech, which means that if you are not deliberately trying to offend someone you should be able to use any words you like, cause they are just that (words). Like where's the problem in me asking my friend "nibba what?"(XD). I know it is impossible in the current world so I'm not actively trying to encourage that, but I would like to see as little words censored as possible. I am neutral towards the word retard, I guess it may be offensive so idk. I think it's best if the mods decide.
As well as the fact that the censor system/program isn't perfect. There are also some variations of the n word that are allowed. But that's just what I've heard. It's ultimatly up to the staff and admins to decide what they want to do.

Ratings
22 2
Free speech is not when you insult people using slurs. how you talk to your friends off manacube is something else. but on manacube you should keep the tone nice

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98

idk... some people just aren't very nice, I've seen ppl say "that's retarded." and it makes me cringe inside. I used to cringe when ppl would swear, but I've gotten used to it... sorta...

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
As I said when you insult people deliberately it's not ok
It's about context- but sometimes it's hard to judge whether something was directed at another person as an insult or not. I mean, obviously (at least from my point of view) that's why many words ARE censored.

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
Although I think the filter is a little harsh right now (with words like spunk being censored) there's no real positive way to say retard. It's almost always going to be to insult someone, even as a joke between friends. Because it's impossible for staff to judge the seriousness of a sentence through text, it would be better just to censor the word. I can't think of a situation where the word retard would be used positively and beneficially.

And for the record, there is no free speech on this server and it doesn't pretend to be. You can be punished for things that you say.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
Although I think the filter is a little harsh right now (with words like spunk being censored) there's no real positive way to say retard. It's almost always going to be to insult someone, even as a joke between friends. Because it's impossible for staff to judge the seriousness of a sentence through text, it would be better just to censor the word. I can't think of a situation where the word retard would be used positively and beneficially.

And for the record, there is no free speech on this server and it doesn't pretend to be. You can be punished for things that you say.
If there was freedom of speech- maybe it would of said that in the rules...? like "You have freedom of speech to say whatever, but you must be respectful to other members and staff."

Tas

ELITE
ManaLabs
ManaLabs
ELITE
Ratings
1,315 43
If there was freedom of speech- maybe it would of said that in the rules...? like "You have freedom of speech to say whatever, but you must be respectful to other members and staff."
I'm not sure what your point is. There isn't freedom of speech.

Cookie Kat

Forum God
MVP+
StormySkiesYT
StormySkiesYT
MVP+
Ratings
1,277 98
I'm not sure what your point is. There isn't freedom of speech.
Well, I know that there isn't... but it was more hypothetical; and if there is no freedom of speech... staff should be making that more clear. Emphasising it?

warlord9120

Forum Expert
ELITE
Warlord9120
Warlord9120
ELITE
Ratings
485 23

I agree with this. Even if you make a joke between friends, other people who read that can be offended. I know it isn't always intended to harm someone, but I believe it's good that they get censored out of precaution to avoid people getting hurt inis the process.