Halp

Gabe

Donator
Ratings
So recently after getting some money I have decided to upgrade come computer parts. Currently I am using a gtx 750ti gpu and the low tier i5 cpu. I want to either get a gtx 1070, or a gtx 1060 and an i7 cpu, if you have an opinion on which I should get of the 2 I'd like to hear it, thanks!

UnrefinedStyle

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
90 6
It honestly just depends on what your budget is, and what sort of performance you're trying to get out of it, like, specifically what game benchmarks are you trying to hit with a hardware upgrade. If you give me a few more details I can recommend a bit better.

Gabe

Donator
Ratings
It honestly just depends on what your budget is, and what sort of performance you're trying to get out of it, like, specifically what game benchmarks are you trying to hit with a hardware upgrade. If you give me a few more details I can recommend a bit better.
$500 is about my budget, I can probably add some more on top of that if needed, and I basically want to get high frames in most games on higher graphic settings, not even so much highest graphic setting, just high. My RAM, motherboard, storage etc are all fine, Im running i5 4690k cpu and a gtx 750ti graphics card at the moment.

UnrefinedStyle

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
90 6
Well currently, for most games at the moment you can basically get away with a 980 or 980TI even. The 10 series is just about future proofing your PC so you don't have to upgrade for another 3-4 years.

Gabe

Donator
Ratings
Well currently, for most games at the moment you can basically get away with a 980 or 980TI even. The 10 series is just about future proofing your PC so you don't have to upgrade for another 3-4 years.
Yep that's pretty much what I'm going for.

Itchin(Qhysics)

Forum Master
Donator
Ratings
281 37
10 series is well worth the investment. If you are just expecting to play minecraft with it, I'd go for the 9 series. Other games and long term sustainability, 10 is the better option.

Gabe

Donator
Ratings
10 series is well worth the investment. If you are just expecting to play minecraft with it, I'd go for the 9 series. Other games and long term sustainability, 10 is the better option.
Been playing MC alot lately but that's mostly because im bored of all the games on steam atm, thanks for the tip tho :)

UnrefinedStyle

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
90 6
Been playing MC alot lately but that's mostly because im bored of all the games on steam atm, thanks for the tip tho :)
If I were you, I'd likely go with the 1070, as it will likely give you the most longevity, and since that's what you're looking for. It's not significantly more expensive than a 1060, and the benchmarks that I looked at seem to show that it's a good investment.

At the end of the day, either card in the 10 series will get you what you're looking for. Mostly your choice will probably depend on what resolution you play at. If you play at 1080p, I'd roll with GTX1060, if you use 1440p, I'd go GTX1070. Right now, for me personally, I use 2 980TIs right now at 2560x1440, and I have absolutely zero complaints other than SLI Stability, so I can only imagine the 1060/70 will be that much better.

Edit:
Here are the benchmark graphs I used, if you're particularly interested: http://bit.ly/2ccmv5b

Last edited:

Gabe

Donator
Ratings
If I were you, I'd likely go with the 1070, as it will likely give you the most longevity, and since that's what you're looking for. It's not significantly more expensive than a 1060, and the benchmarks that I looked at seem to show that it's a good investment.

At the end of the day, either card in the 10 series will get you what you're looking for. Mostly your choice will probably depend on what resolution you play at. If you play at 1080p, I'd roll with GTX1060, if you use 1440p, I'd go GTX1070. Right now, for me personally, I use 2 980TIs right now at 2560x1440, and I have absolutely zero complaints other than SLI Stability, so I can only imagine the 1060/70 will be that much better.

Edit:
Here are the benchmark graphs I used, if you're particularly interested: http://bit.ly/2ccmv5b
Awesome, thanks for the advice :)

UnrefinedStyle

Dedicated Member
Donator
Ratings
90 6
@UnrefinedStyle Monitor wise, do you have any opinions on 1440p ones? I want to choose between these 2 but if you have another suggestion id like to hear it. https://gyazo.com/b089fc2fd77011a6020f771d8a026071 Also 1440p wont be for gaming, but rather for school work, photo editing etc etc
If you're not playing to do 1440p gaming, it really makes extremely negligible impact which monitor you pick. Personally I use 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Display-Refresh-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C ; but they are very pricey, and since you're not using the 1440p for gaming, there's no point in investing that much.

Just pick whichever one you like the look of the best basically.