"Why doesn't Manacube update to later versions of Minecraft?"

Ratings
I really want to use honey blocks in my maps, so I asked in the server chat if Manacube was ever going to update to later versions of Minecraft. I was told that updating the server to current versions of Minecraft would make some parkour maps impossible, due to changes in the physics. But everything feels the same as it always has. I'm no parkour expert, but I can't name any kind of jump that would be possible in 1.8 but impossible in 1.16. I also saw someone mention something about the x-axis. So I have a few questions.

1. How have Minecraft physics changed, and how would that cause some maps to become impossible?
2. What other issues would updating the server cause?
3. Is it possible that there are solutions to any of these these problems?

anxi

Forum Legend
ELITE
sunflowerv6
sunflowerv6
ELITE
Ratings
994 38
Hi! I believe it’s the height of the players that make the most difference. I’m fairly certain players are taller in 1.16, and I’m sure you noticed crouching is different too. (There is also the swimming/crawling mechanic.)
Plugins have to be considered as well - some are not compatible with certain versions. I’m not really sure what would happen if the server updates with incompatible plugins, but I’m assuming performance would decrease, as well as the stability.
I don’t know too much about this but I can imagine if a solution is figured out, it will be implimented.
Hope this helped answer some of your questions!

Ratings
I don't know anything about the player's height, but I know that the crouch is actually shorter. I imagine that this would make some parkour easier. I also think crawling would be beneficial to the server as well. I'm almost always on 1.16 when on the server. I have tested crawling in the map maker world and there were no issues. But I have yet to test swimming. I don't think any movement mechanism are going to be a problem. Anyone could test this in their own world if they wanted.

The plugins, however, I know nothing about. I'm not 100% sure what a plug-in even is. If I had to guess, I would say they're the reason you can use an end portal frame to teleport places or use commands like //wand; stuff you wouldn't be able to do otherwise in vanilla Minecraft. With that in mind, I'm sure there has to be a way to test if these plugins work on later versions of Minecraft. Like some kind of beta. I know that there is a "beta" world with parkour maps that have yet to be implemented. Maybe something like that could work. A part of the server with 1.16 features and the players could test it.

This is kinda fun to think about.