Ratings
255 2
Creator: GamersDecision
Map Name: 313
/plot home GamersDecision
Difficulty: Insane
Jumps: 151
Checkpoints: 8

This is Donald Duck's car from the comics, movies, tv shows and other! The name of the map is based on the car's license plate. The level is difficult and long.

UPDATE: I've made changes to the level based off the critique I've received in hopes of making the level overall better.
Theme of the map was already considered original so I quite obviously didn't change it yet.
The build is now a lot brighter with colors, but it might still look plain. I don't know what two block types to use to make the red unique and less simple. I thought about red stained clay and red wool, 50% each but didn't think that would work. So instead I replaced the darker red clay with the brighter red wool and the wheels are now regular wool too. Hopefully it is more appealing to the eyes.
The build is also now very slightly rounder from spots and I think I can see the difference. It still isn't perfect but I think it is more into that direction.
The parkour hasn't been completely revised but after having some more people test the level I realised that the jumps are indeed very technical and unforgiving. I didn't think they were that hard but I was wrong. I've replaced most of the technical jumps with easier ones and I've moved checkpoint placements to be more forgiving. As an example there was a Triple Neo where you could only take the checkpoint BEFORE doing it. Now you can take it after and before the neo. There's other adjustments too to make the level much more forgiving, even in the less technical parts.

I think it is better now, feel free to check through the level again and tell me if it's better or worse. Most of the pictures are outdated since the level isn't clay anymore, and wool instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

Quinny

Forum Master
PATRON+
Quinnyp
Quinnyp
Patron+
Ratings
877 13
Hey Gamers :)
I'm not the greatest at executing difficult jumps, so I'll start with the build first. I would give the build a -0.5. While the build resembles Donald Duck's car, I feel like it's pretty flat and boxy overall, especially the wheels and the fenders of the car. The fenders especially are what's striking me odd, as they feel very flat and more roof-shaped than a part of a car that covers a rounded wheel. I think capturing the cartoony, rounded brightness and shapes of this concept are very important to making the build recognizable over any other random old classic car.
Overall there's a bit of a lack of texture, and the build does feel a bit plain. Maybe adding some more texture would help with this! I also feel like bringing out more of that vibrant red that the car is would help too!
Now to the parkour. I think the parkour is extremely difficult, and while it does fit the insane difficulty to an extent, I think the parkour is more like an old-style insane, where there's a ton of very technical jumps all tossed together. Having some people who can actually do the parkour test it, it drags on rather than being a really fun challenge. I'm not quite sure what to recommend as to remedying this aside from heavily revising the parkour so it feels more fun to do....how to go about doing that is up to your judgment!
Thank you for asking for some feedback, I'm glad that you asked! I have fun reviewing maps and helping people improve their building skills as always :)

caseyclosed

Forum Expert
ELITE
caseyclosed
caseyclosed
ELITE
Ratings
518 24
Hey GamersDecision,

Here is my critique for your map. Please note that I am only a mapper and my opinion has no effect on whether or not this course is accepted.

For the build of your course, I'd say it is accurate to the theme, however you didn't truly capture the cartoonish curves in 313. Your version is very rigid which isn't the worst thing. You could've added some shading and shine to make your build look less flat. Your theme is original which is great! For the parkour, you have designed a map comparable to TheSimpsons and DHMIS6 with the ideas of putting a lot of hard jumps that require perfect momentum. I'll list a few of these jumps. Quad -2 -> carpet blipup, 3bc diag three block jump, 3bc around fence to slime, 3 block pane jump from connected pane, pane to slab quad, 3+2 snow layers (don't know the exact decimal, and that's to name a few. Your parkour variation is very solid however, so good job on that! Good luck!

Drakonixal

Dedicated Member
Mapper
Ratings
38 11
Hello darling!
1. The build is not good enough and it looks really rushed and uninspired. To be honest I had no idea what it was for at least 10 seconds!
2. The parkour is way too hard, and its not even fun.
Maybe this time you should listen to this critiques instead of wasting your time, but that's just my opinion!

GamersDecision

Forum Expert
ELITE
GamersDecision
GamersDecision
ELITE
Ratings
255 2
I appreciate everyone's critique, thank you all for it! I'll try to work on the level more tomorrow and perhaps even start from scratch. This is my first ever attempt in making an Insane map so I completely understand if it's not good or fun. Any help on how to make Insane level difficulty jumps that aren't too technical but not easy either would be good to hear!

Thank you all, I really appreciate it!

ThePKFish

Retired Mod+
ELITE
selfassured
selfassured
ELITE
Ratings
312 15
Hello,

This map is being rejected. The build could be improved. It definitely looks like a car, but it doesn't look like the car you were going for. It is quite blocky and sharp and doesn't really give off the cartoon feel that the original car gives off. The parkour is in need of some fun jumps. It is quite unenjoyable throughout. The precise jumps are cool, but there are so many hard jumps that aren't necessarily fun packed together that it ruins the uniqueness. The parkour overall is just very unenjoyable. This leads to the course feeling very long and tedious. Overall, the build could be more cartoony and rounded out and the parkour could use some fun.

Thank you for submitting this course!
If you have any questions, you may DM me on here, in game, or on discord!

-Ashley (ThePKFish, fishy1980)

Status
Not open for further replies.