Helping on creating those A+ builds

Charlie Bowdery

Donator
Ratings
Hey guys, I was just thinking of writing an article, so that those who are looking too become A+ builders or just better builders in general might understand what is required too become a successful builder and too build in a 'creative' way. There is a number of different factors contributing towards the way one builds, of course, there is the creative side of being a good builder, but you need too know the basics when it comes too building.
Being a previous T1 builder, I would like to explain the things I would personally cover when trying too build, I would like too make it crystal clear, that WE or World Edit isn't needed too build something pleasing too the eye, it just fastens the process in which it takes you too build, but anyway.

The first thing I would like too cover is the organics side of a build, adding things such as small hills, grass, trees and so on, can greatly improve the overall outcome of your build. It adds a different aspect too just making buildings and other structures. Adding things like grass and such, makes a build look less plain than just building however many structures.

Secondly, the shape of things of your structures.. So many times do people go with the easiest shape, being a square or a cube.. Mix it up a bit, making a sphere building, circular building or just a random shape will always look more appealing than a structure based around a square.

For those who do not know how too make a basic circle:
2014-12-21_23.58.40.png

Colour scheme and block types is the last thing I will talk about. When making builds, it's important too make sure you pick a certain amount of blocks, make sure it's a specified amount and do not succeed this amount. This goes for both things such as full scale cities and just big singular builds, your block selection is extremely important. It makes no sense making a build with over 100 different block types, as there is no co-ordination within the build itself. Hence why in most builds and successful builders limit there builds too a specific amount of blocks, around 5-6 blocks will do just fine. In my case, I usually pick 2 stone/wood type blocks, 2 coloured typed blocks like different coloured stained glass and lastly, the glass colours. Make sure that these colours look well together, and don't use the same block too often, otherwise the build doesn't look well co-ordinated, for instance, you could make the best looking structure, covering detailed walls, flooring, interior and exterior. But if that build consists of basically all cobble stone, this will ruin the build immediately.

When you've covered all these aspects, you will be able too build things similar too these, I'm not the best of builders, but I'm also not the worse, anyway. Take a look for yourself and you're ALWAYS welcome too ask of my assistance, I'm usually in the creative server.

Images of my last build:

2014-02-05_14.05.57.png
2014-02-05_18.06.40.png
2014-02-05_18.07.54.png
2014-02-05_18.01.34.png

OH AND FOR ARCKRAI, YOU'VE TOO ALSO HAVE "swigityswog" LIKE HIM!

Last edited:

Aaron

Donator
Ratings
"WE or World Edit isn't needed too build something pleasing too the eye". This quote, this goes out to all complaining about the Brush being taken away. I personally only use Worldedit in building when it comes down to laziness, for example when I need to fill a lot of blocks I'll use //set, or when I want to duplicate something I'll use //copy and paste, etc. If anything, worldedit can make things worse... I see a lot of tutorials of those using brush to make terrain, It looks ugly (imo)... Without worldedit will show the real, skilled builders. The only piece of W/E I use is to make a mountain like so, even this requires handwork and not a brush. (excuse the colour)

I wish people would focus more on hand work than they did an axe. I like this post, well said.

Also, nice to see you back. :)

Charlie Bowdery

Donator
Ratings
Thank you, it's very true. As said, WE doesn't make peoples builds any better, it can really mainly be used for speeding up a build by using things such as //copy, //rotate and //paste. But yes, I do agree with you, I do personally use WE when being too lazy too repeat the same process. The only improvement about using World Edit is of course.. The speed it takes for builds too be completed and also, allowing a player too make a build, exactly the same. By this I mean, when building a 4 cornered house or something along those lines, it can be used for duplicating the build, so it's exactly the same. This means your build will be exactly symmetrical, because of the way you can mirror. I do not understand why people complain about the brush being taken away, you can look around MineVast builds, how many do you see have any form of terraforming? Especially in big builds.

yankeefan1187

Ratings
Charlie, about how long did that take you to build? Honestly I will say this that my cousin is a civil engineer and me and him are fascinated by every day buildings by people. You know what, I will get him to create a minecraft account and get him on minevast to build during his free time.

fastball602

Forum Expert
MVP
fastball602
fastball602
MVP
Ratings
326 1
Charlie, about how long did that take you to build? Honestly I will say this that my cousin is a civil engineer and me and him are fascinated by every day buildings by people. You know what, I will get him to create a minecraft account and get him on minevast to build during his free time.
Most builds like charlie's can take a couple of days...
It does require a lot of thinking to make a build

Charlie Bowdery

Donator
Ratings
Usually a few days because I don't tend too plan my builds. I sort of improvise, trial and error.. Doing things, seeing the outcome and adjusting based on my decision of the outcome!

Hi! Can you help me with my builds? (FIrstly, I only joined this server today, but I wanna try and INSTANTLY rank up to A+ with a good build.