The TPS: Possible Solutions to Fix The Lag

Ratings
I'm assuming most of us who play Olympus daily know that the TPS is atrocious, and it makes the server unplayable at times. The constant block lag and rubber banding proves to be a toxic experience for most players and could be detrimental to the new players who have no clue what they're doing. It's clear that the mass amounts of grinders and hoppers is causing the TPS problem. The staff have done a great job in trying to fix issues like adding item stacking and alt limit to prevent the amount of grinders. However, I have some ideas that might eliminate the problem altogether but these require to be implemented at a reset. It'll be too detrimental to break the economy as of now, so maybe this post will be useful when a reset occurs:
Plant-Based Economy:
People have cacti farms on the server, but everyone knows they aren't worth the painful process to make it. Cacti farms are proven to not affect the TPS at all and are barely laggy and able to be automated. The automation is the crucial part as to why people love to use grinders. No one wants to walk around destroying melons or wheat and having to replant them, but this may need to be the alternative to prevent lag. Cacti farms, sugar cane farms, wheat farms, etc could be tested to see if it'll be better than using spawners. This could prove to make a use for McMMO, and have mining be useful past mining 75, and the herbalism skill could be used to make farming great and beneficial.
Changing Spawners Altogether:
If we want to limit the mass amounts of gridners altogether, the price of spawners should be raised, along with redstone. pistons, hoppers, etc. Pig spawners cost $3 million at the moment, maybe if we increase the price by 5 times or 10 times (yes, I know it sounds drastic) and in addition, make pork sell 5 or 10 times more as well. It'll make it much harder to get spawners and they'll become more valuable, and most importantly, cause the amount of grinders to decrease massively. Along with all its components that are needed to make a grinder like redstone and hoppers, if the prices increase on these grinders will simply become much harder to make and will require much more mining time. It will take a long time to make a grinder, but there will not be much loss as pork chop will sell for more and it'll prevent the mass creation of spawners and grinders by the people who manage to get wealthy and ahead of anyone else. There won't be a net loss, and it'll make grinders harder to make.
Establishing a Use for Free World:
I hope I am not the only one who finds free world absolutely useless, but it'll be a good idea to somehow implement the free world into the economy! Let's say mob drops like spider eyes, bones, zombie flesh, leather, etc are able to sell in the shop. As well, mushrooms and certain kinds of wood like dark spruce or birch wood sells for a lot more in the shop as well. This'll influence people to grind out the free world and look for resources that are hard to find. Much more examples are blaze rods, quartz, nether eyes, and etc. This could be implemented with the plant based economy to make the free world useful and to drive the economy of the server, rather than having everyone depend on spawners and having very limited use of the free world.

These are some very basic, terrible changes, but I think some have good ideas and intentions and these seem like a good baseline for ideas. If you guys have any critiques or ideas, post them! I hope to solve the TPS issue as it is absolutely unplayable sometimes and I would love Olympus to be a smooth experience for everyone.

EmperorBonaparte

MVP
EmperorBonaparte
EmperorBonaparte
MVP
Ratings
I'm assuming most of us who play Olympus daily know that the TPS is atrocious, and it makes the server unplayable at times. The constant block lag and rubber banding proves to be a toxic experience for most players and could be detrimental to the new players who have no clue what they're doing. It's clear that the mass amounts of grinders and hoppers is causing the TPS problem. The staff have done a great job in trying to fix issues like adding item stacking and alt limit to prevent the amount of grinders. However, I have some ideas that might eliminate the problem altogether but these require to be implemented at a reset. It'll be too detrimental to break the economy as of now, so maybe this post will be useful when a reset occurs:
Plant-Based Economy:
People have cacti farms on the server, but everyone knows they aren't worth the painful process to make it. Cacti farms are proven to not affect the TPS at all and are barely laggy and able to be automated. The automation is the crucial part as to why people love to use grinders. No one wants to walk around destroying melons or wheat and having to replant them, but this may need to be the alternative to prevent lag. Cacti farms, sugar cane farms, wheat farms, etc could be tested to see if it'll be better than using spawners. This could prove to make a use for McMMO, and have mining be useful past mining 75, and the herbalism skill could be used to make farming great and beneficial.
Changing Spawners Altogether:
If we want to limit the mass amounts of gridners altogether, the price of spawners should be raised, along with redstone. pistons, hoppers, etc. Pig spawners cost $3 million at the moment, maybe if we increase the price by 5 times or 10 times (yes, I know it sounds drastic) and in addition, make pork sell 5 or 10 times more as well. It'll make it much harder to get spawners and they'll become more valuable, and most importantly, cause the amount of grinders to decrease massively. Along with all its components that are needed to make a grinder like redstone and hoppers, if the prices increase on these grinders will simply become much harder to make and will require much more mining time. It will take a long time to make a grinder, but there will not be much loss as pork chop will sell for more and it'll prevent the mass creation of spawners and grinders by the people who manage to get wealthy and ahead of anyone else. There won't be a net loss, and it'll make grinders harder to make.
Establishing a Use for Free World:
I hope I am not the only one who finds free world absolutely useless, but it'll be a good idea to somehow implement the free world into the economy! Let's say mob drops like spider eyes, bones, zombie flesh, leather, etc are able to sell in the shop. As well, mushrooms and certain kinds of wood like dark spruce or birch wood sells for a lot more in the shop as well. This'll influence people to grind out the free world and look for resources that are hard to find. Much more examples are blaze rods, quartz, nether eyes, and etc. This could be implemented with the plant based economy to make the free world useful and to drive the economy of the server, rather than having everyone depend on spawners and having very limited use of the free world.

These are some very basic, terrible changes, but I think some have good ideas and intentions and these seem like a good baseline for ideas. If you guys have any critiques or ideas, post them! I hope to solve the TPS issue as it is absolutely unplayable sometimes and I would love Olympus to be a smooth experience for everyone.
I'm afraid no one on the server will be happy with their spawners changing, but maybe on a hard-reset of the server this could be implemented, although we don't know that pig farms are the cause of lag

axiatinc

ELITE
axiatinc
axiatinc
ELITE
Ratings
40 4
I am happy that you took the time to write this, but pig spawners arent the main reason for tps issues. Yes, it may be contributing, but changing the economy to be strictly plant based, would anger the community and probably wouldnt help the tps.

Yorgito

MVP
Yorgito
Yorgito
MVP
Ratings
13 1
The biggest problem is the spawners but making them more expensive would do nothing but piss off the whole server. The best way to fix TPS is to make spawners stackable. It would fix the problem with all of the spawners updating all at once, the particles flying off that the server renders, the spinning mobs that the server renders. Now you'd think that all of that wouldnt hurt the server but when you have people with 6-10 STACKS on their plot, it clogs up the server. All farm eco is probably the worst idea in terms of player happiness and ruins the grind completely because why pay 15-30mill for 1 spawner when you can spend 1-10mill on farms that you can all automate?

locoMoose

Ratings
I think for next survival reset, it should be more of a player-ran economy with very little items being sold in shop. As with spawners, I feel like they should be obtainable through silk touch pickaxes & maybe crates. I think this over all increase the time people spent on the server as you can't just easily obtain every thing via the shop. It would also drastically reduce the amount of spawners on the server, thus reducing some of the lag. As for plant based economy, either way people are going to create massive farms-whether it be a spawner based or plant based.

Hallowqueen

Mod
Hallowqueen
Hallowqueen
Mod
Ratings
2,321 82
Recently, the TPS hasn't been as bad, yes on occasion it drops quickly after reboots, but it's not as bad, or as frequent. In an attempt to resolve the issues, Dacon has reduced the time in which the server reboots, and I believe it has helped a lot.

While grinders are the most common source of income for a majority of the players, I recommend that new players start out with a cacti farm, as spawners are harder to get, and with people rarely selling them on the auction house, it can be difficult for new players to start a grinder. Whether it'd help the TPS or not, I can't guarantee, but I do know it's useful for players starting out, even if it is an irritating process.

I believe changing spawners altogether would likely help the TPS, but changing the price would likely only outrage players. The last time Dacon nerfed the sell price of pork, players went ballistic. It's more a combination of both spawners and Redstone that cause the lag on plots with grinders. While it'd likely be a good change realistically, I doubt players would be very happy with it.

To be honest, my opinion stands that mining should be the main source of income, but I know that grinders/farms help out a lot, and especially when reaching higher ascensions, for players who decide to proceed with ascending after they've finished all 13 rebirths, so I can understand the frustration at the suggestion of changing how spawners work/the prices, altogether. For now though, the TPS seems to have improved a lot.